45. Elections of members of board.
(1) The conduct of elections to the board of a multi-Stateco- operative society shall be the responsibility of the existing board.
(2) The election of members of board shall be held by secret ballot in the manner as may be prescribed.
(3) The election of the members of the board shall be held in the general meeting of the members of the multi-State co-operative society.
(4) The elected members of the board shall, if the bye-laws of such society permit, be eligible for re- election.
(5) The term of office of the elected members of the board shall be such, not exceeding five years from the date of elections, as may be specified in the bye-laws of a multi-State co-operative society:
Provided that elected members shall continue to hold office till their successors are elected or nominated under the provisions of this Act or the rules or bye-laws and assume charge of their office.
(6) Where the board fails to conduct election of the members of board, the Central Registrar shall hold the election within a period of ninety days from the date when such election became due.
(7) No person shall be eligible to be elected as a member of the board of a multi-State co-operativesociety unless he is a member of the general body of that society.
(8) The expenses for holding election by the Central Registrar shall be borne by the multi-State co- operative society.
(9) The Central Government may make rules generally to provide for or to regulate matters in respect of election of members of the board.