Multimodal Transportation of Goods Act, 1993
4. Registration for multimodal transportation
(1) Any person may apply for registration to the competent authority to carry on or commence the business of multimodal transportation.
(2) An application under sub-section (1) shall be made in such form as may be prescribed and shall be accompanied by a fee of ten thousand rupees.
(3) On receipt of the application, the competent authority shall satisfy that the applicant fulfils the following conditions, namely:-
(a) (i) that the applicant is a shipping company or a company engaged in the business of freight forwarding in India or abroad with a minimum annual turnover of fifty lakh rupees during the immediate preceding financial year or an average annual turnover of fifty lakh rupees during the preceding three financial years as certified by a chartered accountant within the meaning of the Chartered Accountants Act, 1949;
(ii) that if the applicant is a company other than a company specified in sub-clause (i), the subscribed share capital of such company is not less than fifty lakh rupees;
(b) that the applicant has offices or agents or representatives in not less than two other countries, and on being so satisfied, register the applicant as a multimodal transport operator and grant a certificate to it to carry on or commence the business of multimodal transportation:
Provided that the competent authority may, for reasons to be recorded in writing, refuse to grant registration if it is satisfied that the applicant does not fulfill the said conditions.
(4) A certificate granted under sub-section (3) shall be valid for a period of one year and may be renewed from time to time for a further period of one year at a time .
(5) An application for renewal shall be made in such from as may be prescribed and shall be accompanied by a fee of two thousand rupees.