1. Short title, extent, commencement and application.
(1) This Act may be called the Motor Transport Workers Act, 1961.
(2) It extends to the whole of India 1* * *.
(3) It shall come into force on such date2 not being later than the 31st day of March, 1962, as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint and different dates may be appointed for different States.
3[Provided that it shall come into force in the State of Jammu and Kashmir* on the commencement of the Central Labour Laws (Extension to Jammu and Kashmir) Act, 1970.]
(4) It applies to every motor transport undertaking employing five or more motor transport workers:
Provided that the State Government may, after giving not less than two months' notice of its intention so to do, by notification in the Official Gazette, apply all or any of the provisions of this Act to any motor transport undertaking employing less than five motor transport workers.