The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988
71. Procedure of Regional Transport Authority in considering application for stage carriage permit.
- A Regional Transport Authority shall, while considering an application for a stage carriage permit, have regard to the objects of this Act:
Provided that such permit for a route of fifty kilometers or less shall be granted only to an individual or a State transport undertaking.
- A Regional Transport Authority shall refuse to grant a stage carriage permit if it appears from any time-table furnished that the provisions of this Act relating to the speed at which vehicles may be driven are likely to be contravened:
Provided that before such refusal an opportunity shall be given to the applicant to amend the time-table so as to conform to the said provisions.
- The State Government shall, if so directed by the Central Government having regard to the number of vehicles, road conditions and other relevant matters, by notification in the Official Gazette, direct a State Transport Authority and a Regional Transport Authority to limit the number of stage carriages generally or of any specified type, as may be fixed and specified in the notification, operating on city routes in towns with a population of not less than five lakhs.
- Where the number of stage carriages is fixed under clause (a), the Government of the State shall reserve in the State certain percentage of stage carriage permits for the scheduled castes and the scheduled tribes in the same ratio as in the case of appointments made by direct recruitment to public services in the State.
- Where the number of stage carriages are fixed under clause (a), the Regional Transport Authority shall reserve such number of permits for the scheduled castes and the scheduled tribes as may be fixed by the State Government under sub-clause (b).
- After reserving such number of permits as is referred to in clause (c), the Regional Transport Authority shall in considering an application have regard to the following matters, namely:--
- Financial stability of the applicant;
- Satisfactory performance as a stage carriage operator including payment of tax if the applicant is or has been an operator of stage carriage service; and
- Such other matters as may be prescribed by the State Government:
Provided that, other conditions being equal, preference shall be given to applications for permits from--
- State transport undertakings;
- Co-operative societies registered or deemed to have been registered under any enactment for the time being in force; or
- A Regional Transport Authority shall not grant more than five stage carriage permits to any individual or more than ten stage carriage permits to any company (not being a State transport undertaking).
- In computing the number of permits to be granted under sub- section (4), the permits held by an applicant in the name of any other person and the permits held by any company of which such applicant is a director shall also be taken into account.
Explanation.--For the purposes of this section "company" means any body corporate, and includes a firm or other association of individuals; and "director", in relation to a firm, means a partner in the firm.