The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988
63. Maintenance of State Registers of Motor Vehicles.
- Each State Government shall maintain in such form as may be prescribed by the Central Government a register to be known as the State Register of Motor Vehicle, in respect of the motor vehicles in that State, containing the following particulars, namely:--
- Registration numbers;
- years of manufacture;
- Classes and types;
- Names and addresses of registered owners; and
- Such other particulars as may be prescribed by the Central Government.
- Each State Government shall supply to the Central Government a printed Copy of the State Register of Motor Vehicles and shall also inform the Central Government without delay of all additions to and other amendments in such register made from time to time.
- The State Register of Motor Vehicles shall be maintained in such manner as may be prescribed by the State Government.