The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988
58. Special provisions in regard to transport vehicles.
- The Central Government may, having regard to the number, nature and size of the tyres attached to the wheels of a transport vehicle, (other than a motorcab), and its make and model and other relevant considerations, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify, in relation to each make and model of a transport vehicle, the maximum safe laden weight of such vehicle and the maximum safe axle weight of each axle of such vehicle.
- A registering authority, when registering a transport vehicle, other than a motorcab, shall enter in the record of registration and shall also enter in the certificate of registration of the vehicle the following particulars, namely:--
- the unladen weight of the vehicle;
- the number, nature and size of the tyres attached to each wheel;
- the gross vehicle weight of the vehicle and the registered axle weights pertaining to the several axles thereof; and
- if the vehicle is used or adapted to be used for the carriage of passengers solely or in addition to goods, the number of passengers for whom accommodation is provided, and the owner of the vehicle shall have the same particulars exhibited in the prescribed manner on the vehicle.
- There shall not be entered in the certificate of registration of any such vehicle any gross vehicle weight or a registered axle weight of any of the axles different from that specified in the notification under sub-section (1) in relation to the make and model of such vehicle and to the number, nature and size of the tyres attached to its wheels:
Provided that where it appears to the Central Government that heavier weights than those specified in the notification under sub- section (1) may be permitted in a particular locality for vehicles of a particular type, the Central Government may, by order in the Official Gazette direct that the provisions of this sub-section shall apply with such modifications as may be specified in the order.
- When by reason of any alteration in such vehicle, including an alteration in the number, nature or size of its tyres, the gross vehicle weight of the vehicle or the registered axle weight of any of its axles no longer accords with the provisions of sub-section (3),the provisions of section 52 shall apply and the registering authority shall enter in the certificate of registration of the vehicle revised registered weights which accord with the said sub-section.
- In order that the gross vehicle weight entered in the certificate of registration of a vehicle may be revised in accordance with the provisions of sub-section (3), the registering authority may require the owner of transport vehicle in accordance with such procedure as may be prescribed to produce the certificate of registration within such time as may be specified by the registering authority.