The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988
52. Alteration in motor vehicle.
- No owner of a motor vehicle shall so alter the vehicle that the particulars contained in the certificate of registration are no longer accurate, unless--
- He has given notice to the registering authority within whose jurisdiction he has the residence or the place of business where the vehicle is normally kept, as the case may be of the alteration he proposes to make; and
- He has obtained the approval of that registering authority to make such alteration:
Provided that it shall not be necessary to obtain such approval, for making any change in the unlade weight of the motor vehicle consequent on the addition or removal of fittings or accessories, if such change does not exceed two percent. Of the weight entered in the certificate of registration.
- Where a registering authority receives a notice under sub- section (1), it shall, within seven days of the receipt thereof, communicate, by post, to the owner of the vehicle its approval to the proposed alteration or otherwise:
Provided that where the owner of the motor vehicle has not received any such communication within the said period of seven days, the approval of such authority to the proposed alteration shall be deemed to have been given.
- Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1), a State Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, authorise, subject to such conditions as may be specified in the notification, the owners of not less than ten transport vehicles to alter any vehicle owned by them so as to replace the engine thereof without the approval of the registering authority.
- Where any alteration has been made in a motor vehicle either with the approval of the registering authority given or deemed to have been given under sub-section, (2) or by reason of replacement of its engine without such approval under sub-section (3), the owner of the vehicle shall, within fourteen days of the making of the alteration, report the alteration to the registering authority within whose jurisdiction he resides and shall forward the certificate of registration to that authority together with the prescribed fee in order that particulars of the alteration may be entered therein.
- A registering authority other than the original registering authority making any such entry shall communicate the details of the entry to the original registering authority.