Login : Advocate | Client
Home Post Your Case My Account Law College Law Library

The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988

49. Change of residence or place of business.

  1. If the owner of a motor  vehicle ceases to reside or have his place of business at the address recorded in the certificate of registration of the vehicle, he shall, within  thirty days  of any such change of address, intimate in such form  accompanied by  such documents  as may be prescribed by the Central Government,  his new  address, to the registering authority by which the  certificate of  registration was  issued, or,  if  the  new address is  within the  jurisdiction of another registering authority, to that  other registering  authority, and  shall  at  the  same  time forward the  certificate of  registration to the registering authority or, as  the case  may be,  to the other registering authority in order that the new address may be entered therein.
  2. If  the owner  of a  motor vehicle  fails to intimate his new address to  the concerned  registering  authority  within  the  period specified in  sub-section (1),  the registering  authority may, having regard to  the circumstances of the case, require the owner to pay, in lieu of  any action  that may  be taken  against him under section 177 such amount  not exceeding  one hundred  rupees as  may be  prescribed under sub-section (4):

Provided that action under section 177 shall be taken against the owner where he fails to pay the said amount.

  1. Where a person has paid the amount under sub-section (2), no action shall be taken against him under section 177.
  2. For the purposes of sub-section (2), a State Government may prescribe different amounts having regard to the period of delay in intimating his new address.
  3. On   receipt  of   intimation  under  sub-section  (1),  the registering authority  may, after  making such  verification as it may think fit,  cause the  new address to be entered in the certificate of registration.
  4. A registering authority other than the original registering authority making any such entry shall communicate the altered address to the original registering authority.
  5. Nothing  in sub-section  (1) shall  apply where the change of the address  recorded in  the certificate  of registration is due to a temporary absence  not intended  to exceed  six months  in duration or where the  motor vehicle  is neither used nor removed from the address recorded in the certificate of registration.

Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 Back

Client Area | Advocate Area | Blogs | About Us | User Agreement | Privacy Policy | Advertise | Media Coverage | Contact Us | Site Map
powered and driven by neosys