The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988
202. Power to arrest without warrant.
- A police officer in uniform may arrest without warrant any person who in his presence commits an offence punishable under section 184 or section or section 197:
Provided that any person so arrested in connection with an offence punishable under section 185 shall, within two hours of his arrest, be subjected to a medical examination referred to in sections 203 and 204 by a registered medical practitioner failing which he shall be released from custody.
- A police officer in uniform may arrest without warrant:--
- any person who being required under the provisions ofthis Act to give his name and address refuses to do so, or gives a name or address which the police officer has reason to believe to be false, or
- any person concerned in an offence under this Act or reasonably suspected in have been so concerned if the police officer has reason to believe that he will abscond or otherwise avoid the service of a summons.
- A police officer arresting without warrant the driver of a motor vehicle shall if the circumstances so require take or cause to be taken any steps he may consider proper for the temporary disposal of the vehicle.