The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988
164. Power of Central Government to make rules.
- The Central Government may make rules for the purpose of carrying into effect the provisions of this Chapter, other than the matters specified in section 159.
- Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing power, such rules may provide for--
- The forms to be used for the purposes of this Chapter;
- The making of applications for and the issue of certificates of insurance;
- The issue of duplicates to replace certificates of insurance lost, destroyed or mutilated;
- The custody, production, cancellation and surrender of certificates of insurance;
- The records to be maintained by insurers of policies of insurance issued under this Chapter;
- The identification by certificates or otherwise of persons or vehicles exempted from the provisions of this Chapter;
- The furnishing of information respecting policies of insurance by insurers;
- adopting the provisions of this Chapter to vehicles brought into India by persons making only a temporary stay therein or to vehicles registered in a reciprocating country and operating on any route or within any area in India by applying those provisions with prescribed modifications;
- The form in which and the time limit within which the particulars referred to in section 160 may be furnished; and
- Any other matter which is to be, or may be, prescribed.