The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988
161. Special provisions as to compensation in case of hit and run motor accident.
- For the purposes of this section, section 16 2 and section 163 --
- "Grievous hurt" shall have the same meaning as in the Indian Penal Code; (45 of 1860.)
- "Hit and run motor accident" means an accident arising out of the use of a motor vehicle or motor vehicles the identity whereof cannot be ascertained in spite of reasonable efforts for the purpose;
- "Scheme" means the scheme framed under section 163.
- Notwithstanding anything contained in the General Insurance Business (Nationalisation) Act, 1972 (57 of 1972.) or any other law for the time being in force or any instrument having the force of law, the General Insurance Corporation of India formed under section 9 of the said Act and the insurance companies for the time being carrying on general insurance business in India shall provide for paying in Accordance with the provisions of this Act and the scheme, compensation in respect of the death of, or grievous hurt to, persons resulting from hit and run motor accidents.
- Subject to the provisions of this Act and the scheme, there shall be paid as compensation--
- in respect of the death of any person resulting from ahit and run motor accident, a fixed sum of eight thousand and five hundred rupees;
- in respect of grievous hurt to any person resulting from a hit and run motor accident, a fixed sum of two thousand rupees.
- The provisions of sub-section (1) of section 166 shall apply for the purpose of making applications for compensation under this section as they apply for the purpose of making applications for compensation referred to in that sub-section.