The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988
113. Limits of weight and limitations on use.
- The State Government may prescribe the conditions for the issue of permits for heavy goods vehicles or heavy passenger motor vehicles by the State or Regional Transport Authorities and may prohibit or restrict the use of such vehicles in any area or route.
- Except as may be otherwise prescribed, no person shall drive or cause or allow to be driven in any public place any motor vehicle which is not fitted with pneumatic tyres.
- No person shall drive or cause or allow to be driven in any public place any motor vehicle or trailer--
- the unladen weight of which exceeds the unladen weight specified in the certificate of registration of the vehicle, or
- the laden weight of which exceeds the gross vehicle weight specified in the certificate of registration.
- Where the driver or person in charge of a motor vehicle or trailer driven in contravention of sub-section (2) or clause (a) of sub-section (3) is not the owner, a Court may presume that the offence was committed with the knowledge of or under the orders of the owner of the motor vehicle or trailer.