The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988
10. Form and contents of licences to drive.
- Every learner's licence and driving licence, except a driving licence issued under section 18,shall be in such form and shall contain such information as may be prescribed by the Central Government.
- A learner's licence or, as the case may be, driving licence shall also be expressed as entitling the holder to drive a motor vehicle of one or more of the following classes, namely:--
- motor cycle without gear;
- motor cycle with gear;
- invalid carriage;
- light motor vehicle;
- medium goods vehicle;
- medium passenger motor vehicle;
- heavy goods vehicle;
- heavy passenger motor vehicle;
- motor vehicle of a specified description.