7. Powers of Inspectors of Mines.-
(1) The Chief Inspector and any Inspector may-
(a) make such examination and inquiry as he thinks fit in order to ascertain whether the provisions of this Act and of the regulations, rules and bye-laws and of any orders made thereunder are observed in the case of any mine;
(b) with such assistants, if any, as he thinks fit, enter, inspect and examine any mine or any part thereof at any time by day or night: Provided that the power conferred by this clause shall not be exercised in such a manner as unreasonably to impede or obstruct the working of any mine;
(c) examine into, and make inquiry respecting, the state and condition of any mine or any part thereof, the ventilation of the mine, the sufficiency of the bye-laws for the time being in force relating to the mine, and all matters and things connected with or relating to the health, safety and welfare of the persons employed in the mine, and take whether on the precincts of the mine or elsewhere, statements of any person which he may consider necessary for carrying out the purposes of this Act;
(d) exercise such other powers as may be prescribed by regulations made by the Central Government in' this behalf: Provided that no person shall be compelled under this sub-section to answer any question or make any statement tending to incriminate himself.
(2) The Chief Inspector and any Inspector may, if he has reason to believe, as a result of any inspection, examination or inquiry under this section, that an offence under this Act has been or is being committed, search any place and take possession 1[of any material or any plan, section, register or other record] appertaining to the mine, and the provisions of the 2[Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (2 of 1974)] shall so far as may be applicable, apply to any search or seizure under this Act as they apply to any search or seizure made under the authority of a warrant issued under 3[section 94] of that Code.
1. Clause (jjj) omitted by Act 42 of 1983, s. 2 (w.e.f. 31-5-1984).
2. Ins. by Act 62 of 1959, s. 2 (w.e.f. 16-1-1960).
3. Certain words omitted by Act 42 of 1983, s. 2 (w.e.f. 31-5-1984).
4. Subs. by s. 2, ibid., for "any contractor" (w.e.f. 31-5-1984).
5. Subs. by s. 2, ibid., for clause (n) (w.e.f. 31-5-1984).
6. Added by Act 62 of 1959, s. 2 (w.e.f. 16-1-1960).
7. Ins. by Act 42 of 1983, s. 2 (w.e.f. 31-5-1984).
8. Subs. by s. 2, ibid., for clauses (q) and (r) (w.e.f. 31-5-1984).