11. Certifying surgeons.-
(1) The Central Government may appoint qualified medical practitioners to be certifying surgeons for the purposes of this Act within such local limits or for such mine or class or description of mines as it may assign to them respectively.
(2) Subject to such conditions as the Central Government may think fit to impose, a certifying surgeon may, with the approval of the Central Government, authorise any qualified medical practitioner to exercise all or any of his powers under this Act for such period as the certifying surgeon may specify, and references to a certifying surgeon shall be deemed to include references to any qualified medical practitioner when so authorised.
(3) No person shall be appointed to be, or authorised to exercise the powers of, a certifying surgeon, or, having been so appointed or authorised, continue to exercise such powers, who is or becomes the owner, agent or manager of a mine, or is or becomes directly or indirectly interested therein, or in any process or business carried on therein or in any patent or machinery connected therewith, or is otherwise in the employment of the mine.
(4) The certifying surgeon shall carry out such duties as may be prescribed in connection with-
1* * * * *
(b) the examination of persons engaged in a mine in such dangerous occupations or processes as may be prescribed;
(c) the exercise of such medical supervision as may be prescribed for any mine or class or description of mines where-
(i) cases of illness have occurred which it is reasonable to believe are due to the nature of any process carried on or other conditions of work prevailing in the mine;
1* * * * *
1. Omitted by Act 42 of 1983, s. 9 (w.e.f. 31-5-1984).
2. Subs. by s. 10, ibid., for the heading "MINING BOARDS AND COMMITTEES" (w.e.f. 31-5-1984).