23. Power to underpin building or otherwise strengthen it.-
(1) If the metro railway administration is of opinion that it is necessary or expedient so to do for facilitating the construction of any metro railway or for ensuring the safety of any metro railway, it may, underpin or otherwise strengthen any building within such radius not exceeding fifty metres from the metro alignment.
(2) The metro railway administration shall give to the owner or occupier of such building at least ten days notice in writing before undertaking the work of underpinning or otherwise strengthening the building:
Provided that where the metro railway administration is satisfied that an emergency exists, no such notice shall be necessary.
(3) Where the underpinning or strengthening was executed in connection with-
(a) the carrying out of the works upon the land where any building is situated, or
(b) the construction or operation of any metro railway,
the metro railway administration may, at any time after the underpinning or strengthening of such building is completed and before the expiration of a period of twelve months,-
(i) in a case referred to in clause (a), from the completion of such works; and
(ii) in a case referred to in clause (b), from the date on which traffic was opened in the metro railway,
enter upon and survey such building and do such further underpinning or strengthening thereon as it may deem necessary.
1. Subs. by Act 41 of 1982, s. 13, for "by the competent authority" (w.e.f. 15-5-1983).
2. Subs by s. 13, ibid., for certain words (w.e.f. 15-5-1983).
3. Subs. by Act 41 of 1982, s. 2, for "arbitrator" (w.e.f. 15-5-1983).