19. Powers of metro railway administration.-
(1) The metro railway administration shall, for the purpose of 1[performing its functions under section 18] have power-
(a) to enter into contracts and leases and to execute all instruments necessary therefor;
(b) to make such number of rail tracks as the Central Government may think necessary upon, under, along or across any land, canal, river, street or road on or in the metro alignment and all other works and conveniences in connection therewith;
(c) 2[to open, divert or temporarily close], as the case may be, any street, road, cable, trench, drain (including a sewer), channel, ditch, culvert or any other device (whether for carrying of sullage, sewage, offensive matter, polluted water, trade effluent, rain water, sub-soil water or any other object), electric or gas supply line or tele-communication line, or telegraph installation, over, across or under any land, building, street, road, railway or tramway;
(d) to burrow tunnels;
(e) to lay down signalling and other communication facilities, electric sub-stations, supply lines and other works;
(f) to regulate drilling of tubewells or sinking of wells, public or private, in the proximate vicinity of the metro alignment;
(g) to do all other things necessary or expedient for the exercise of any of the aforesaid powers.
(2) While exercising any powers under sub-section (1), the metro railway administration shall take such precautionary measures as are necessary, shall do as little damage as possible and shall be liable only for the damage or cost actually suffered or incurred by any person as a result of the exercise of such powers.
1. Subs. by Act 41 of 1982, s. 11, for certain words (w.e.f. 15-5-1983).
2. Subs. by s. 11, ibid., for "to open or divert" (w.e.f. 15-5-1983).