84. Production of certificates of competency to shipping master.-
(1) The master of a foreign-going ship or the master of a home-trade ship of two hundred tons gross or more-
(a) on signing the agreement with his crew, shall produce to the shipping master before whom the same is signed, the certificates of competency which the 1[mates and engineers] of the ship are by this Act required to hold; 2***
(b) in the case of a running agreement, shall, also, before the second and every subsequent voyage, produce to the shipping master the certificate of competency of any mate or engineer then first engaged by him who is required by this Act to hold a certificate.
3[(c) who is not required to sign the agreement with the crew, shall submit before commencing the first voyage from any port to the Mercantile Marine Department having jurisdiction over such port, a list of crew with the particulars of grades of certificates of master, mates and engineers and shall also report to that Department of any later change in the list of the crew before any subsequent voyage.]
(2) Upon the production of the certificates of competency, the shipping master shall, if the certificates are such as the master, mates and engineers of the ship ought to hold, give to the master a certificate to the effect that the proper certificates of competency have been so produced.
(3) The master shall, before proceeding to sea, produce the certificate given to him by the shipping master to the customs collector.
(4) No customs collector shall clear any such ship outwards without the production of such certificate; and, if any ship attempts to go to sea without a clearance, the customs collector may detain her until the certificate is produced.