Courts of survey
383. Constitution of court of survey.-
(1) A court of survey for a port shall consist of a Judge sitting with two assessors.
(2) The Judge shall be a District Judge, Judge of a court of small causes, 1[Metropolitan Magistrate, Judicial Magistrate of the first class] or other fit person appointed in this behalf by the Central Government either generally or for any specified case.
1. Subs. by Act 12 of 1983, s. 17 and the Schedule, for "presidency magistrate, magistrate of the first class" (w.e.f. 18-5-1983).
(3) The assessors shall be persons of nautical, engineering pr other special skill or experience.
(4) Subject to the provisions of Part IX as regards ships other than Indian ships, one of the assessors shall be appointed by the Central Government either generally or in each case and the other shall be summoned by the Judge in the manner prescribed out of a list of persons from time to time prepared for the purpose by the Central Government or, if there is no such list or if it is impracticable to procure the attendance of any person named in such list, shall be appointed by the Judge.