Loading of timber
330. Power to make rules as to timber cargo.-
(1) The Central Government shall, subject to the condition of previous publication, make rules (hereafter in this section referred to as the timber cargo rules) as to the conditions on which timber may be carried as cargo in any uncovered space on the deck of any Indian ship.
(2) The timber cargo rules may prescribe a special load line to be used only when the ships carrying timber as cargo on deck and the conditions on which such special load line may be assigned, and may further prescribe either generally or with reference to particular voyages and seasons the manner and position in which such timber is to be stowed and the provisions which are to be made for the safety of the crew.
(3) Any surveyor may at any reasonable time, inspect any Indian ship carrying a timber as cargo in any uncovered space on her deck for the purpose of seeing whether the timber cargo rules have been complied with.
(4) The foregoing provisions of this section and the timber cargo rules shall apply to ships other than Indian ships while they are within Indian jurisdiction as they apply to Indian ships.