130. Settlement of wages.-
(1) Where a seaman is discharged and the settlement of his wages completed before a shipping master, the seaman, shall sign in the presence of the shipping master a release in the form, prescribed of all claims in respect of the past voyage or engagement, and the release shall also be signed by the master, owner or agent of the ship and attested by the shipping master.
(2) The release so signed and attested shall be retained by the shipping master and shall operate as a mutual discharge and settlement of all demands between the parties thereto in respect of the past voyage or engagement but shall not debar a claim, to compensation for personal injury caused by accident arising out of and in the course of employment.
(3) A copy of the release, certified under the hand of the shipping master to be a true copy, shall be given by him to any party thereto requiring the same and such copy shall be receivable in evidence upon any question touching such claims, and shall have all the effect of the original of which it purports to be a copy.
(4) No payment, receipt or settlement of the wages of a seaman made otherwise than in accordance with this Act shall operate or be admitted as evidence of the release or satisfaction of any claim in respect of such wages.
(5) Upon any payment being made by a master before a shipping master, the shipping master shall, if required, sign and give to the master a statement of the whole amount so paid, and the statement shall as between the master and his employer, be admissible as evidence that the master has made the payments therein mentioned.
(6) Notwithstanding anything contained in the preceding sub-sections a seaman may except from the release signed by him any specified claim or demand against the master or owner of the ship, and a note of any claim or demand so excepted shall be entered upon the release; and the release shall not operate as a discharge and settlement of any claim or demand so noted, nor shall sub-section (4) apply to any payment, receipt or settlement made with respect to any such claim or demand.