OFFENCES AND PENALTIES
107. Penalties for establishing or maintaining mental health establishment in contravention of provisions of this Act.-
(1) Whoever carries on a mental health establishment without registration shall be liable to a penalty which shall not be less than five thousand rupees but which may extend to fifty thousand rupees for first contravention or a penalty which shall not be less than fifty thousand rupees but which may extend to two lakh rupees for a second contravention or a penalty which shall not be less than two lakh rupees but which may extend to five lakh rupees for every subsequent contravention.
(2) Whoever knowingly serves in the capacity as a mental health professional in a mental health establishment which is not registered under this Act, shall be liable to a penalty which may extend to twenty-five thousand rupees.
(3) Save as otherwise provided in this Act, the penalty under this section shall be adjudicated by the State Authority.
(4) Whoever fails to pay the amount of penalty, the State Authority may forward the order to the Collector of the district in which such person owns any property or resides or carries on his business or profession or where the mental health establishment is situated, and the Collector shall recover from such persons or mental health establishment the amount specified thereunder, as if it were an arrear of land revenue.
(5) All sums realised by way of penalties under this Chapter shall be credited to the Consolidated Fund of India.