Maternity Benefit Act,1961
7. Duties and powers of the competent authority and Inspectors
(1) The competent authority shall be responsible for the administration of these rules throughout the territories to which they extend.
(2) Every Inspector shall discharge his duties within the area assigned to him by the Central Government and shall act under the supervision and control of the competent authority.
(3) Every Inspector shall at each inspection of a mine or circus see,-
(a) whether due action has been taken on every notice given under section 6;
(b) whether the muster-roll prescribed under rule 3 is correctly maintained;
(c) whether there have been any cases of discharge or dismissal or notices of discharge or dismissal in contravention of the provisions of section 12 since the last inspection;
(d) whether the provisions of section 4(1), sub-sections (5) and (6) of section 6, sections 8, 9, 3[9A], 10, 11, 13 and 19 have been complied with and whether amounts due have been paid within the prescribed time;
(e) whether there have been any cases of deprival of maternity benefit or medical bonus in contravention of section 12(2); and
(f) how far the irregularities pointed out at previous inspections have been remedied and how far orders previously issued have been complied with.
(4) Where an Inspector observes irregularities against the Act or these rules, he shall issue orders in writing to the employer asking the latter to rectify the irregularities within a specified period and to report compliance to the Inspector.