5. Prohibition of fishing by Indian citizens, etc., using foreign vessels.-
(1) Every Indian citizen and every person to whom any of the descriptions specified in sub-item (2) or (3) of item (i) of sub-clause (II) of clause (e) of section 2 applies, who intends to use any foreign vessel for fishing within any maritime zone of India, may make an application to the Central Government for a permit to use such vessel for such purpose.
(2) Every application under sub-section (1) shall be made in such form and shall be accompanied by such fees as may be prescribed.
(3) No permit shall be granted unless the Central Government, having regard to such matters as may be prescribed in the public interest in this behalf and after making such inquiry in respect of such other matters as may be relevant, is satisfied that the permit may be granted.
(4) Every order granting or rejecting an application for the grant of such permit shall be in writing.
(5) A permit granted under this section-
(a) shall be in such form as may be prescribed;
(b) shall be valid for such areas, for such period, for such method of fishing and for such purposes as may be specified therein;
(c) may be renewed from time to time; and
(d) shall be subject to such conditions and restrictions as may be prescribed and to such additional conditions and restrictions as may be specified therein.
(6) A person holding a permit under this section shall ensure that every person employed by him complies, in the course of such employment, with the provisions of this Act or any rule or order made thereunder and the conditions of such permit.
(7) Notwithstanding anything contained in the foregoing provisions of this section, or in section 3, any permission granted to an Indian citizen to use or employ foreign fishing vessels in any maritime zone of India and in force immediately before the commencement of this Act shall, if the terms and conditions of such permission are not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act, be deemed to be a permit granted under this section and such permission shall continue to be in force after such commencement on the same terms and conditions, including the conditions as to the area of operation and the period of its validity, and the provisions of this Act shall, so far as may be, apply to such permission.