35. Functions of Gram Panchayat.
Subject to such conditions as may be specified by the Government from time to time, the Gram Panchayat shall perform the functions specified below:
(1) General Functions:
(a) preparation of annual plans for the development of the Panchayat area;
(b) preparation of annual budget;
(c) power for mobilising reliefs in natural calamities;
(d) removal of encroachments on public properties;
(e) organising voluntary labour and contribution for community works; and
(f) maintenance of essential statistics of village(s).
(2) Agriculture, including Agriculture Extension:
(a) promotion and development of agriculture and horticulture;
(b) development of waste lands;
(c) development and maintenance of grazing lands and preventing their unauthorised alienation;
(d) promote land improvement and soil conservation measures; and
(e) promote measures for implementation of land reforms and land consolidation.
(3) Animal husbandry, Dairying and Poultry:
(a) improvement of breed of cattle, poultry and other live-stock;
(b) promotion of dairy farming, poultry and piggery; and
(c) grassland development.
development of fisheries in the village(s)
(5) Social and Farm Forestry, Minor Forest produce Fuel and Fodder:
(a) planting and preservation of trees on the sides of roads and other public lands under its control;
(b) fuel plantations and fodder development;
(c) promotion of farm forestry; and
(d) development of social forestry.
(6) Khadi, Village and Cottage Industries:
(a) promotion of rural and cottage industries;
(b) organisation of awareness camps, seminars and training programmes, agricultural and industrial exhibitions for the benefit of the rural areas; and
(c) identification of traditional skills in the area to develop small scale industries and popularising food processing units.
(7) Rural Housing:
(a) implementation of house building programme; and
(b) maintenance of records relating to the houses, sites and other private and public properties.
(8) Drinking water:
(a) construction, repair and maintenance of drinking water wells, tanks and ponds;
(b) prevention and control of water pollution; and
(c) maintenance of rural water supply schemes.
(9) Roads, buildings, culverts, bridges, ferries, waterways and other means of communication:
(a) construction and maintenance of village roads, drains and culverts;
(b) maintenance of buildings under its control or transferred to it by the Government or any public authority; and
(c) maintenance of boats, ferries and waterways.
(10) Non-Conventional Energy Source:
(a) promotion and development of non-conventional, energy schemes;
(b) maintenance of community, non-conventional, energy devices, including bio-gas plants;
(c) propagation of improved chulhas and other efficient energy devices.
(11) Poverty Alleviation Programme:
(a) promotion of public awareness and participation in poverty alleviation programmes for fuller employment and creation of productive assets;
(b) selection of beneficiaries under various programmes through Gram Sabha; and
(c) participation in effective implementation and monitoring.
(12) Education including primary schools and secondary schools:
(a) promotion of public awareness and participation in primary and secondary education with special emphasis on technical training and vocational education; and
(b) ensuring full enrolment and attendance in primary and secondary schools and its management.
(13) Adult and non-formal Education:
promotion of Adult literacy.
village libraries and reading rooms.
(15) Cultural activities:
promotion of social and cultural activities.
(16) Markets and fairs:
regulation of fairs (including cattle fairs) and festivals.
(17) Rural sanitation:
(a) maintenance of general sanitation;
(b) cleaning of public roads, drains, tanks, wells and other public places;
(c) maintenance and regulation of burning and burial grounds;
(d) construction and maintenance of public latrines; and
(e) management and control of washing and bathing ghats.
(18) Public health and family welfare:
(a) implementation of family welfare programmes;
(b) prevention and remedial measures against epidemics;
(c) regulation of sale of meat, fish and other perishable food articles;
(d) participation in programmes of human and animal vaccination;
(e) regulation of eating and entertainment establishments;
(f) destruction of stray dogs;
(g) regulation of curing, tanning and dyeing of skins and hides; and
(h) regulation of offensive and dangerous trades.
(19) Woman and child development:
(a) participation in the implementation of woman and child welfare programmes; and
(b) promotion of school health and nutrition programmes.
(20) Social welfare including welfare of the handicapped and mentally retarded:
(a) participation in the implementation of the social programmes, including welfare of the handicapped, mentally retarded and destitute; and
(b) monitoring of the old-age and widows pension schemes;
(21) Welfare of the weaker section and in particular the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes:
(a) promotion of public awareness with regard to welfare of Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and other Weaker Sections; and
(b) participation in the implementation of the specific programmes for the welfare of the weaker sections.
(22) Public distribution system:
(a) promotion of the public awareness with regard to the distribution of essential commodities; and
(b) monitoring the public distribution system.
(23) Maintenance of community assets:
(a) maintenance of community assets; and
(b) preservation and maintenance of other community assets.
(24) Construction and maintenance of Dharmashalas, Chatras and similar institutions.
(25) Construction and maintenance of cattle sheds, pounds and cart stands.
(26) Construction and maintenance of slaughter houses.
(27) Maintenance of public parks, playgrounds.
(28) Regulation of manure pits in public places.
(29) Establishment and control of shandies.
(30) Irrigation, water management and watershed development:
(a) promote measures for construction and maintenance of minor irrigation works and watershed development programmes;
(b) develop ground water resources;
(c) providing for timely and equitable distribution of irrigation water.
(31) Rural electrification including distribution of electricity:
(a) promote extension of electricity to uelectrified areas;
(b) help in prevention of illegal tapping of electricity; and
(c) help in the recovery and collection of electricity due.
(32) Such other functions as may be entrusted.