31. No-confidencemotion against Chairperson orVice-Chairperson.
(1) The State Government may remove by a notification in the Official Gazette, from office the Chairperson or theVice-Chairperson, in pursuance of a resolution passed by a majority of the total number of the Councillors and supported by not less than two-third of the Councillors present and voting at a meeting specially convened for the purpose under sub-section (2).
(2) For the purposes of sub-section (1) a meeting of the Nagar Panchayat or of the Council shall be held in the following manner, namely:
(i) the meeting shall be convened by the Executive Officer on a requisition signed by not less than one-fifth of the total number of Councillors constituting the Nagar Panchayat or the Council for the time being;
(ii) the notice of such a meeting specifying the time and place thereof shall be despatched by the Executive Officer to every Councillor ten days before the meeting;
(iii) the Chairperson or the Vice-Chairperson, as the case may be, against whom the resolution referred to in sub-section (1) is to be moved, shall not preside over the meeting;
(iv) a copy of the notice shall be sent to the State Government.
(3) If the office of the Chairperson becomes vacant all powers and duties of the Chairperson, may, until the election of a new Chairperson be exercised and performed by the Vice-Chairperson.
(4) The removal of the Chairperson or the Vice-Chairperson under sub-section (1) shall be effective from the date of its resolution in this regard.