228. Committee for Metropolitan Planning.
(1) The Governor may by notification notify an area having a population of ten lakh or more comprised in one or more districts and consisting of two or more municipalities or panchayats or other contiguous areas, to be a Metropolitan area for the purposes of this Act.
(2) On such notification the Government shall constitute in every Metropolitan area a Metropolitan Planning Committee to prepare a draft development plan for the Metropolitan area as a whole.
(3) The Government may prescribe by notification with respect to
(a) the manner in which the seats in such Committee shall be filled:
Provided that not less than two-thirds of the members of such Committee shall be elected by, and from amongst, the elected members of the municipalities and Chairpersons of the Panchayats in the Metropolitan area in proportion to the ratio between the population of the municipalities and of the Panchayats in that area;
(b) the representation in such Committee of the Government of India and the Government and of such organisations and institutions as may be deemed necessary for carrying out the functions assigned to such Committee;
(c) the functions relating to planning and co-ordination for the Metropolitan area which may be assigned to such Committee;
(d) the manner in which the Chairperson of such Committee shall be chosen.
(4) Every Metropolitan Planning Committee shall, in preparing the draft development plan
(a) have regard to
(i) the plans prepared by the municipalities and the Panchayats in the Metropolitan area;
(ii) matters of common interest between the municipalities and the Panchayats, including coordinated spatial planning of the area, sharing of water and other physical and natural resources, the integrated development of infrastructure and environmental conservation;
(iii) the overall objectives and priorities set by the Government of India and the Government;
(iv) the extent and nature of investments likely to be made in the Metropolitan area by agencies of the Government of India and Government, and other available resources whether financial or otherwise;
(b) consult such institutions and organisations as the Governor may, by order, specify.
(5) The Chairperson of every Metropolitan Planning Committee shall forward the development plan, as recommended by such Committee, to the Government.