16. Constitution and composition of Wards Committees.
(1) In respect of a municipality having population of three lakhs or more there shall be constituted by the State Government, by order, such number of Wards Committees as may be determined by it, so however, that each Wards Committee shall consist of not less than five wards:
Provided that in constituting Wards Committees, the State Government shall maintain geographical contiguity as far as possible.
(2) Each Wards Committee shall consist of
(i) the members elected from the wards for which Wards Committee is constituted;
(ii) the Executive Officer who shall be the ex officio member; and
(iii) such other officers of the municipality as the State Government may specify to be ex officiomembers of whom one specified officer shall be the Secretary of the Wards Committee:Provided that the ex officio members shall have the right to speak and participate in the meetings of the Wards Committee but shall not have the right to vote.
(3) The Chairperson of the Wards Committee shall be elected by the elected members thereof from among themselves.
(4) The Chairperson shall cease to hold office if he ceases to be a member of the Wards Committee. Any casual vacancy in the office of the Chairperson shall be filled by election of another Chairperson from among the elected members of the Wards Committee as soon as may be after the occurrence of the vacancy.
(5) The powers and functions of the Wards Committee and the manner of conduct of business at its meetings shall be such as may be prescribed.