124. Erection of building without sanction.
(1) No person shall erect, materially alter or re-erector commence to erect, materially alter or re-erect any building without the sanction of the Nagar Panchayat or of the Council, as the case may be.
(2) Every person who intends to erect, materially alter or re-erect any building shall give notice in writing to the Nagar Panchayat or as the case may be, to the Council of such erection.
(3) When bye-laws have been framed under this Act no notice under sub-section (2) shall be considered to be valid until such notice has complied with the provision of the bye-laws.
An alteration in a building for the purposes of this section and of bye-laws be deemed to be material if it
(a) affects or is likely to affect prejudicially the stability or safety of the building, or the condition of the building in respect of drainage, ventilation, sanitation or hygiene;
(b) increase or diminishes the height or area covered by, or the cubical capacity of the building, or of any room in the building.
(4) In the municipalities where water works are maintained it shall be compulsory for persons erecting or re-erecting buildings costing rupees two lakhs or more (excluding cost of land and of improvement of land) to install sanitary latrines. The municipality shall withhold sanction if the plan and specification of the building submitted with the notice do not contain provision for installation of sanitary latrines.