10. Election of Chairperson and Vice-Chairpersons.
(1) Save as otherwise provided in the Act, the Councillors at the first meeting of the Nagar Panchayat to be called at the instance of the Deputy Commissioner after a General Election shall elect one of them to be the Chairperson in accordance with the rules made in this behalf.
(2) An election under sub-section (1) shall take place
(a) within twenty-one days from the date of notification of the result under section 22;
(b) in the case of vacancy in the office of the Chairperson on account of any reason other than the expiry of the term of office of the Chairperson, within twenty-one days from the date of the occurrence of the vacancy.
(3) The State Government shall appoint a person to preside over the meeting and for the purpose of the business mentioned in sub-section (1).
(4) The Councillors shall, either at the meeting referred to in sub-section (1) or at any subsequent meeting elect one among themselves, other than the Chairpersonelected under sub-section (1), to be aVice-Chairperson.