23. Chairman and Vice-Chairman.-
(1) A District Council shall, as soon as may be, choose two members to be respectively Chairman and Vice-Chairman thereof and so often as the office of Chairman or Vice-Chairman becomes vacant, the Council shall choose another member to be Chairman or Vice-Chairman, as the case may be:
Provided that the Administrator may nominate the first Chairman who shall hold office for a period not exceeding one year.
(2) If a resolution for the removal of an elected Chairman is passed by not less than two-thirds of the total membership of the Council at a meeting convened in accordance with the provisions of sub-section (3), such resolution shall have the effect of removing the Chairman from his office as from the date on which the resolution is so passed and if such resolution is passed by less than two-thirds but not less than one-half of the total membership of the Council, the Administrator may, by order in writing, remove, for reasons to be recorded, the Chairman from his office as from such date as may be specified in the order:
Provided that no such resolution shall be brought within one year from the date of election of the Chairman:
Provided further that if the resolution is not passed by not less than two-thirds of the total membership of the Council, no other resolution for the removal of the Chairman shall be allowed to be considered within one year from the date on which such resolution was considered.
(3) A notice in writing of the intention to move a resolution referred to in sub-section (2) signed by not less than one-third of the total membership of the Council together with a copy of the proposed resolution shall be delivered to the Deputy Commissioner in accordance with the rules made by the Deputy Commissioner in this behalf and the Deputy Commissioner shall, after giving not less than fifteen days' notice thereon, convene for consideration of the resolution a meeting of the Council to be held in the office of the Council on a date not later than thirty days from the date on which the notice was delivered to him and he shall preside over the meeting.
(4) The Chairman of the Council shall be a whole-time functionary and shall be entitled to such salary or allowances as may be fixed by the Administrator.