42. Performance of services by Board or other person.-
(1) A Board shall have power to undertake the following services:-
(a) landing, shipping or transhipping passengers and goods between vessels in the port and the wharves, piers, quays or docks belonging to or in the possession of the Board;
(b) receiving, removing, shifting, transporting, storing or delivering goods brought within the Board's premises; 20
(c) carrying passengers by rail or by other means within the limits of the port or port approaches, subject to such restrictions and conditions as the Central Government may think fit to impose; 1***
(d) receiving and delivering, transporting and booking and despatching goods originating in the vessels in the port and intended for carriage by the neighbouring railways, or vice versa, as a railway administration under the Indian Railways Act, 1890 ( 9 of 1890); 2***
3[(e) piloting, hauling, mooring, remooring, hooking, or measuring of vessels or any other service in respect of vessels;] 4[and]
4[(f) developing and providing, subject to the previous approval of the Central Government, infrastructure facilities for ports.]
(2) A Board may, if so requested by the owner, take charge of the goods for the purpose of performing the service or services and shall give a receipt in such form as the Board may specify.
(3) Notwithstanding anything contained in this section, the Board may, with the previous sanction of the Central Government, authorise any person to perform any of the services mentioned in sub-section (1) on such terms and conditions as may be agreed upon.
4[(3A) Without prejudice to the provisions of sub-section (3), a Board may, with the previous approval of the Central Government, enter into any agreement or other arrangement (whether by way of partnership, joint venture or in any other manner) with, anybody corporate or any other person to perform any of the services and functions assigned to the Board under this Act on such terms and conditions as may be agreed upon.]
(4) No person authorised under sub-section (3) shall charge or recover for such service any sum in excess of the amount 5[specified by the Authority, by notification in the Official Gazette].
(5) Any such person shall, if so required by the owner, perform in respect of goods any of the said services and for that purpose take charge of the goods and give a receipt in such form as the Board may specify.
(6) The responsibility of any such person for the loss, destruction or deterioration of goods of which he has taken charge shall, subject to the other provisions of this Act, be that of a bailee under sections 151, 152 and 161 of the Indian Contract Act, 1872 ( 9 of 1872).
(7) After any goods have been taken charge of and a receipt given for them under this section, no liability for any loss or damage which may occur to them shall attach to any person to whom a receipt has been given or to the master or owner of the vessel from which the goods have been landed or transhipped.