The Major Port Authorities Act, 2021
33. Power to raise loans and issue securities.-
(1) The Board may for the purposes of its capital expenditure and working capital requirements raise loans in any currency or currencies from any-
(a) scheduled bank or financial institution located within India; or
(b) financial institution in any country outside India in compliance with the laws for the time being in force:
Provided that no loan or loans exceeding a sum equivalent to fifty per cent. of the capital reserves of the Board shall be raised by the Board without the previous sanction of the Central Government.
(2) The loans may be raised by Board in the open market within India and in any country outside India on port securities including but not limited to debentures, bonds and stock certificates issued by the Board or may be obtained from the Central Government or a State Government:
Provided that no loans shall be raised from and no securities shall be issued to any person resident outside India without complying with the Foreign Exchange Management Act, 1999 (42 of 1999), the circulars and guidelines issued by the Reserve Bank of India, the Foreign Direct Investment Policy issued by the Central Government and any other law for the time being in force.
(3) The holder of any port security in any form may obtain in exchange thereof, upon such terms as the Board may from time to time determine, a port security in such form as may be specified by the regulations made by the Board.
(4) The right to sue in respect of monies secured by port securities shall be exercisable by the holders thereof subject to the provisions of the Limitation Act, 1963 (36 of 1963).
(5) Nothing contained in this Act shall be deemed to affect the power of the Boards of Major Port Authorities to raise loans under the Local Authorities Loans Act, 1914 (9 of 1914).
(6) Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act, the Board may borrow monies by means of temporary overdraft or otherwise by pledging the securities held by the Board in its reserve funds or on the security of the fixed deposits of the Board in its banks:
Provided that such temporary overdrafts or other loans shall not be taken, without previous sanction of the Central Government, if at any time in any year the amount of such overdrafts or other loans exceeds a sum equivalent to fifty per cent. of the capital reserves of the Board:
Provided further that all monies so borrowed by temporary overdrafts or otherwise shall be expended for the purposes of this Act.