15. Programme Officer.-
(1) At every Panchayat at intermediate level, the State Government shall appoint a person who is not below the rank of Block Development Officer with such qualifications and experience as may be determined by the State Government as Programme Officer at the Panchayat at intermediate level.
(2) The Programme Officer shall assist the Panchayat at intermediate level in discharging its functions under this Act and any Scheme made thereunder.
(3) The Programme Officer shall be responsible for matching the demand for employment with the employment opportunities arising from projects in the area under his jurisdiction.
(4) The Programme Officer shall prepare a plan for the Block under his jurisdiction by consolidating the project proposals prepared by the Gram Panchayats and the proposals received from intermediate panchayats.
(5) The functions of the Programme Officer shall include-
(a) monitoring of projects taken up by the Gram Panchayats and other implementing agencies within the Block;
(b) sanctioning and ensuring payment of unemployment allowance to the eligible households;
(c) ensuring prompt and fair payment of wages to all labourers employed under a programme of the Scheme within the Block;
(d) ensuring that regular social audits of all works within the jurisdiction of the Gram Panchayat are carried out by the Gram Sabha and that prompt action is taken on the objections raised in the social audit;
(e) dealing promptly with all complaints that may arise in connection with the implementation of the Scheme within the Block; and
(f) any other work as may be assigned to him by the District Programme Coordinator or the State Government.
(6) The Programme Officers shall function under the direction, control and superintendence of the District Programme Coordinator.
(7) The State Government may, by order, direct that all or any of the functions of a Programme Officer shall be discharged by the Gram Panchayat or a local authority.