Maharashtra Rent Control Act, 1999
29. Landlord not to cut-off or withhold essential supply or service.
(1) No landlord, either himself or through any person acting or purporting to act on his behalf, shall, without just or sufficient cause, cut-off or withhold any essential supply or service enjoyed by the tenant in respect of the premises let to him.
(2) A tenant in occupation of the premises may, if the landlord has contravened the provisions of sub-section
(1), make an application to the court for a direction to restore such supply or service.
(3) Having regard to the circumstances of a particular case the court, may, if it is satisfied that it is necessary to make an interim order, make such order directing the landlord to restore the essential supply or service before the date specified in such order, before giving notice to the landlord of the enquiry to be made in the application under sub-section (3) or during the pendency of such enquiry. On the failure of the landlord to comply with such interim order of the court, the landlord shall be liable to the same penalty as is provided for in sub-section (4).
(4) If the court on inquiry finds that the tenant has been in enjoyment of the essential supply or service and that it was cut-off or withheld by the landlord without just or sufficient cause, the court shall make an order directing the landlord to, restore such supply or service before a date to be specified in the order. Any landlord who fails, to restore the supply or service before the date so specified, shall, for each day during which the default continues thereafter, be liable upon further directions by the court to that effect, to fine which may extend to one hundred rupees.
(5) Any landlord, who contravenes, the provisions of sub-section (1), shall, on conviction, be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to three months or with fine which may extend to one thousand rupees or with both.
(6) An application under this section may be made jointly by all or any of the tenants of the premises situated in the same building.
Explanation.- ln this section,-
(a) essential supply or service includes supply of water, electricity, lights in passages and on staircases, lifts and conservancy or sanitary service;
(b) withholding any essential supply or service shall include acts or omissions attributable to the landlord on account of which the essential supply or service is cut-off by the municipal authority or any other competent authority.
(7) Without prejudice to the provisions of sub-sections (1) to (6) or any other law for the time being in force, where the tenant,-
(a) who has been in enjoyment of any essential supply or service and the landlord has withheld the same, or
(b) who desires to have, at his own cost, any other essential supply or service for the premises in his occupation, the tenant may apply to the Municipal or any other authority authorized in this behalf, for the permission or for supply of the essential service and it shall be lawful for that authority to grant permission for, supply of such essential supply or service applied for without insisting on production of a "No Objection Certificate" from the landlord by such tenant.