In this Act, unless there is anything repug nant in the subject or context,
(b) "district" means an area defined as a district for the purposes of this Act under section 3;
(c) "general lighthouse" means any lighthouse which the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, declare to be a general lighthouse for the purposes of this Act;
(d) "lighthouse" includes any light-vessel, fog-signal, buoy, beacon, or any mark, sign or apparatus exhibited or used for the guidance of ships;
(e) "local lighthouse " means any lighthouse which is not a general lighthouse;
(f) "local lighthouse authority" means a State Government, local authority or other person having the superintendence and management of a local lighthouse;
(g) "owner" includes any part-owner, charterer, or mortgagee in possession and any agent to whom a ship is consigned;
(h) "port" means any port, as defined in the Indian Ports Act, 1908 (15 of 1908), to which that Act extends; 8***
9[(hh) "proper officer", in relation to any functions to be performed under this Act, means the officer of Customs who is assigned those functions by the Central Board of
1. This Act has been extended to Goa, Daman and Diu with modifications by Reg. 12 of 1962, s. 3 and Sch. This Act has been extended to Lakshadweep by Reg. 8 of 1965, s. 3 and Sch. This Act comes into force in Pondicherry on 1.10.1963 vide Reg. 7 of 1963, s. 3 and Sch. I.
2. Subs. by the A.O. 1948, for "British India".
3. The words "the provinces of" omitted by the A.O. 1950.
4. The word "Indian" omitted by Act 37 of 1976, s. 2 (w.e.f. 15 -4-1976).
5. The words "except Part B States" omitted by Act 18 of 1953, s. 2.
6. 1st. April, 1929, see Gazette of India, 1929, Pt. I, p. 96.
7. Clause (a) omitted by Act 37 of 1976, s. 4 (w.e.f. 15 -4-1976).
8. The word "and" omitted by s. 4, ibid. (w.e.f. 15-4-1976).
9. Ins. by s. 4, ibid. (w.e.f. 15-4-1976).
Excise and Customs constituted under the Central Boards of Revenue Act, 1963 (54 of 1963), and includes any person appointed by the Central Government to discharge the functions of a proper officer under this Act;]
1[(hha) "Ship" includes a sailing vessel;]
(i ) words and expressions used in this Act and not otherwise defined have the same meanings respectively as in the 2[Merchant Shipping Act, 1958 (44 of 1958)].