The Legal Metrology Act, 2009
8. Standard weight, measure or numeral. -
1. Any weight or measure which conforms to the standard unit of such weight or measure and also conforms to such of the provisions of section 7 as are applicable to it shall be the standard weight or measure.
2. Any numeral which conforms to the provisions of section 6 shall be the standard numeral.
3. No weight, measure or numeral, other than the standard weight, measure or numeral, shall be used as a standard weight, measure or numeral.
4. No weight or measure, shall be manufactured or imported unless it conforms to the standards of weight or measure specified under section 8: Provided that provisions of this section shall not apply for manufacture done exclusively for export or for the purpose of any scientific investigation or research.