The Legal Metrology Act, 2009
7. Standard units of weights and measures. -
1. The base units of weights and measures specified in section 5 shall be the standard units of weights and measures.
2. The base unit of numeration specified in section 6 shall be the standard unit of numeration.
3. For the purpose of deriving the value of base, derived and other units mentioned in section 5, the Central Government shall prepare or cause to be prepared objects or equipments in such manner as may be prescribed.
4. The physical characteristics, configuration, constructional details, materials, equipments, performance, tolerances, period of re-verification, methods or procedures of tests shall be such as may be prescribed.