The Legal Metrology Act, 2009
Chapter III Appointment and Powers of Director, Controller and Legal Metrology Officers
13. Appointment of Director, legal metrology officers and other employees.-
1. The Central Government may, by notification, appoint a Director of legal metrology, Additional Director, Joint Director, Deputy Director, Assistant Director and other employees for exercising the powers and discharging the duties conferred or imposed on them by or under this Act in relation to inter-State trade and commerce.
2. The qualifications of the Director and legal metrology officers appointed under sub-section (1) shall be such as may be prescribed.
3. The Director and every legal metrology officer, appointed under sub-section (1), shall exercise such powers and discharge such functions in respect of such local limits as the Central Government may, by notification, specify.
4. Every legal metrology officer appointed under sub-section (1) shall exercise powers and discharge duties under the general superintendence, direction and control of the Director.
5. The Director, the Controller and every legal metrology officer authorised to perform any duty by or under this Act shall be deemed to be a public servant within the meaning of section 21 of the Indian Penal Code.
6. No suit, prosecution or other legal proceeding shall lie against the Director, the Controller and legal metrology officer authorised to perform any duty by or under this Act in respect of anything which is in good faith done or intended to be done under this Act or any rule or order made thereunder.
7. The Central Government may, with the consent of the State Government and subject to such conditions, limitations and restrictions as it may specify in this behalf, delegate such of the powers of the Director under this Act as it may think fit to the Controller of legal metrology in the State, and such Controller may, if he is of opinion that it is necessary or expedient in the public interest so to do, delegate such of the powers delegated to him as he may think fit to any legal metrology officer and where any such delegation of powers is made by such Controller, the person to whom such powers are delegated shall exercise those powers in the same manner and with the same effect as if they had been conferred on him directly by this Act and not by way of delegation.
8. Where any delegation of powers is made under sub-section (7), the powers so delegated shall be exercised under the general superintendence, direction and guidance of the Director.