The Khadi and Industries Commission Act, 1956
15. Functions of the Commission.
1. Subject to the provisions of this Act, the functions of the Commission shall generally be to plan, promote, organise and assist in the establishment and development of khadi and village industries in the rural area in coordination with other agencies engaged in rural development wherever necessary.
2. In particular, and without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing power, the Commission may take such other steps as it may think fit,--
a. to plan and organise training of persons employed or desirous of seeking employment in khadi and village industries;
b. to build up reserves of raw materials and implements and supply them to persons engaged or likely to be engaged in production of handspun yarn or khadi or village industries at such rates as the Commission may decide;
c. to encourage and assist in the creation of common service facilities for the processing of raw materials or semi- finished goods and for otherwise facilitating production and marketing of khadi or products of village industries;
d. to promote the sale and marketing of khadi or products of village industries or handicrafts and for this purpose forge links with established marketing agencies wherever necessary and feasible;
e. to encourage and promote research in the technology used in khadi and village industries, including the use of non- conventional energy and electric power with a view to increasing productivity, eliminating drudgery and otherwise enhancing their competitive capacity and to arrange for dissemination of salient results obtained from such research;
f. to undertake directly or through other agencies studies of the problems of khadi or village industries;
g. to provide financial assistance to institutions or persons engaged in the development and operation of khadi or village industries and guide them through supply of designs, prototypes and other technical information for the purpose of producing goods and services for which there is effective demand in the opinion of the Commission;
h. to undertake experiments or pilot projects which in the opinion of the Commission are necessary for the development of khadi and village industries;
i. to establish and maintain separate organisations for the purpose of carrying out any or all of the above matters;
j. to promote and encourage cooperative efforts among the manufacturers of khadi or persons engaged in village industries;
k. to ensure genuineness and to set up standards of quality and ensure that products of khadi and village industries do conform to the said standards, including issue of certificates or letters of recognition to the concerned persons; and (l) to carry out any other matters incidental to the above.] ---------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Subs. by Act 12 of 1987, s. 6 (w.e.f. 24.7.1987).
2. Subs. by s. 7, ibid. (w.e.f. 24.7.1987).
3. Omitted by s. 8, ibid. (w.e.f. 24.7.1987).
4. Subs. by s. 9, ibid. (w.e.f. 24.7.1987). 183