2. Power to appoint Kazis for any local area.-
Wherever it appears to the State Government that any considerable number of the Muhammadans resident in any local area desire that one or more Kazis should be appointed for such local area, the State Government may, if it thinks fit, after consulting the principal Muhammadan residents of such local area, select one or more fit persons and appoint him or them to be Kazis for such local area.
If any question arises whether any person has been rightly appointed Kazi under this section, the decision thereof by the State Government shall be conclusive.
The State Government may, if it thinks fit, suspend or remove any Kazi appointed under this section who is guilty of any misconduct in the execution of his office, or who is for a continuous period of six months absent from the local area for which he is appointed, or leaves such local area for the purpose of residing elsewhere, or is declared an insolvent, or desires to be discharged from the office, who refuses or becomes in the opinion of the State Government unfit, or personally incapable, to discharge the duties of the office.
1. The Act has been extended to the Union territory of Lakshadweep by Reg. 2 of 1970, s. 2 and the Schedule (w.e.f. 15-10-1970) and to the Union territory of Pondicherry by Act 26 of 1968, s. 3 and the Schedule.
2. Rep. by Act 8 of 1868.
3. Subs. by the A.O. 1950, for "the Provinces".
4. The words "and it shall come into force at once" omitted by Act 10 of 1914, s. 3 and the Second Schedule.
5. Subs. by Act 3 of 1951, s. 3 and the Schedule, for "But the Government of any other Part A State or the Government of a Part C State".
6. The Act has been extended to certain places in the Bombay Presidency, West Bengal, the U.P., the Punjab, the C.P. and Assam.