The Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2015
57. Eligibility of prospective adoptive parents.
1. The prospective adoptive parents shall be physically fit, financially sound, mentally alert and highly motivated to adopt a child for providing a good upbringing to him.
2. In case of a couple, the consent of both the spouses for the adoption shall be required.
3. A single or divorced person can also adopt, subject to fulfillment of the criteria and in accordance with the provisions of adoption regulations framed by the Authority.
4. A single male is not eligible to adopt a girl child.
5. Any other criteria that may be specified in the adoption regulations framed by the Authority.