26. Provision with respect ofrun awaychild in conflict with law.-
(1) Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in any other law for the time being in force, any police officer may take charge of a child in conflict with law who has run away from a special home or an observation home or a place of safety or from the care of a person or institution under whom the child was placed under this Act.
(2) The child referred to in sub-section (1) shall be produced, within twenty-four hours, preferably before the Board which passed the original order in respect of that child, if possible, or to the nearest Board where the child is found.
(3) The Board shall ascertain the reasons for the child having run away and pass appropriate orders for the child to be sent back either to the institution or person from whose custody the child had run away or any other similar place or person, as the Board may deem fit: Provided that the Board may also give additional directions regarding any special steps that may be deemed necessary, for the best interest of the child.
(4) No additional proceeding shall be instituted in respect of such child.