The Jawaharlal Nehru University Act, 1966
(1) The President of India shall be the Visitor of the University.
(2) The Visitor may, from time to time, appoint one or more persons to review the work and progress of the University and to submit a report thereon; and upon receipt of that report, the Visitor may, after obtaining the views of the Executive Council thereon, take such action and issue such directions as he considers necessary in respect of any of the matters dealt with in the report and the University shall be bound to comply with such directions.
(3) The Visitor shall also have the right to cause an inspection to be made by such person or persons as he may direct of the University, its buildings, laboratories and equipment and of any institution maintained by the University, and also of the examinations, teaching and other work conducted or done by the University and to cause an inquiry to be made in respect of any matter connected with the University.
(4) The Visitor shall in every case give notice to the University of his intention to cause an inspection or inquiry to be made, and the University shall be entitled to appoint a representative who shall have the right to be present and be heard at such inspection or inquiry.
(5) The Visitor may address the Vice-Chancellor with reference to the result of such inspection and inquiry, and the Vice-Chancellor shall communicate to the Executive Council the views of the Visitor with such advice as the Visitor may offer upon the action to be taken thereon.
(6) The Executive Council shall communicate through the Vice-Chancellor to the Visitor such action, if any, as it is proposed to take or has been taken upon the result of such inspection or inquiry.
(7) Where the Executive Council does not, within a reasonable time, take action to the satisfaction of the Visitor, the Visitor may, after considering any explanation furnished or representation made by the Executive Council, issue such directions as he may think fit and the Executive Council shall be bound to comply with such directions.
(8) The Visitor may by order in writing annul any proceeding of the University which is not in conformity with this Act, the Statutes or the Ordinances.
(9) The Visitor shall also have such other powers as may be prescribed by the Statutes.