1. Short title, extent, commencement and application.-
(1) This Act may be called the Inter-State Migrant Workmen (Regulation of Employment and Conditions of Service) Act, 1979.
(2) It extends to the whole of India.
(3) It shall come into force on such date1 as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint:
1. 2nd October, 1980, vide notification No. G.S.R. 513(E), dated 11th August, 1980, see Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, sec. 3(i).
Provided that if the Central Government considers it necessary or expedient so to do in the public interest, it may postpone or relax, to such extent as may be specified in such notification, the operation of all or any of the provisions of this Act in any State or States for such period not extending beyond one year from the date on which this Act comes into force.
(4) It applies-
(a) to every establishment in which five or more inter-State migrant workmen (whether or not in addition to other workmen) are employed or who were employed on any day of the preceding twelve months;
(b) to every contractor who employs or who employed five or more inter-State migrant workmen (whether or not in addition to other workmen) on any day of the preceding twelve months.