13. Actuarial report and abstract.-
2[(1) Every insurer carrying on life insurance business shall, once at least every year cause an investigation to be made by an actuary into the financial condition of the life insurance business carried on by him, including a valuation of his liabilities in respect thereto and shall cause an abstract of the report of such actuary to be made in accordance with the regulations:
Provided that the Authority may, having regard to the circumstances of any particular insurer, allow him to have the investigation made as at a date not later than two years from the date as at which the previous investigation was made: Provided further that every insurer, on or after the commencement of the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority Act, 1999 (41 of 1999), shall cause an abstract of the report of the actuary to be made in such manner as may be specified by the regulations.]
(2) The provisions of sub-section (1) regarding the making of an abstract shall apply whenever at any other time an investigation into the financial condition of the insurer is made with a view to the distribution of profits or an investigation is made of which the results are made public. (3) There shall be appended to every such abstract as is referred to in sub-section (1) or sub-section (2) a certificate signed by the principal officer of the insurer that full and accurate particulars of every policy under which there is a liability either actual or contingent have been furnished to the actuary for the purpose of the investigation.
3[(4) There shall be appended to every such abstract a statement prepared in such form and in such manner as may be specified by the regulations: Provided that, if the investigation referred to in sub-sections (1) and (2) is made annually by any insurer, the statement need not be appended every year but shall be appended at least once in every three years.] (5) Where an investigation into the financial condition of an insurer is made as at a date other than the expiration of the year of account, the accounts for the period since the expiration of the last year of account and the balance-sheet as at the date at which the investigation is made shall be prepared and audited in the manner provided by this Act.
4[(6) The provisions of this section relating to the life insurance business shall apply also to any such sub-class of insurance business included in the class "Miscellaneous Insurance" and the Authority may authorise such modifications and variations of regulations as may be necessary to facilitate their application to any such sub-class of insurance business: Provided that, if the Authority is satisfied that the number and amount of the transactions carried out by an insurer in any such sub-class of insurance business is so small as to render periodic investigation and valuation unnecessary, it may exempt that insurer from the operation of this sub-section in respect of that sub-class of insurance business.]
1. Subs. by Act 5 of 2015, s. 17, for section 12 (w.e.f. 26-12-2014).
2. Subs. by s. 18, ibid., for sub-section (1) (w.e.f. 26-12-2014).
3. Subs. by s. 18, ibid., for sub-section (4) (w.e.f. 26-12-2014).
4. Subs. by s. 18, ibid., for sub-section (6) (w.e.f. 26-12-2014).