4. The Central Insecticides Board.
(1) The Central Government shall, as soon as may be, constitute a Board to be called the, Central Insecticides Board to advise the Central Government and State Governments on technical matters arising out of the administration of this Act and to carry out the other functions assigned to the Board by or under this Act.
(2) The matters on which the Board may advise under sub-section (1) shall include matters relating to
(a) the risk to human beings or animals involved in the use of insecticides and the safety measures necessary to prevent such risk;
(b) the manufacture, sale, storage, transport and distribution of insecticides with a view to ensure safety to human beings or animals.
(3) The Board shall consist of the following members, namely:
(i) the Director General of Heath Services, ex officio, who shall be the Chairman;
(ii) the Drugs Controller, India, ex officio;
(iii) the Plant Protection Adviser to the Government of India, ex officio;
(iv) the Director of Storage and Inspection, Ministry of Food, Agriculture, Community Development and Co-operation (Department of Food), ex officio;
(v) the Chief Adviser of Factories, ex officio;
(vi) the Director, National Institute of Communicable Diseases, ex officio;
(vii) the Director General, Indian Council of Agricultural Research, ex officio;
(viii) the Director General, Indian Council of Medical Research, ex officio;
(ix) the Director, Zoological Survey of India, ex officio;
(x) the Director General, Indian Standards Institution, ex officio;
(xi) the Director-General of Shipping or, in his absence, the Deputy Director General of Shipping, Ministry of Transport and Shipping, ex officio;
(xii) the Joint Director, Traffic (General), Ministry of Railways (Railway Board), ex officio;
(xiii) the Secretary, Central Committee for Food Standards, ex officio;
1[(xiiia) the Animal Husbandry Commissioner, Department of Agriculture, ex officio;
(xiiib) the Joint Commissioner (Fisheries), Department of Agriculture, ex officio;
(xiiic) the Deputy Inspector General of Forests (Wild Life), Department of Agriculture, ex officio;
(xiiid) the Industrial Adviser (Chemicals), Directorate General of Technical Development, ex officio;]
(xiv) one person to represent the Ministry of Petroleum and Chemicals, to be nominated by the Central Government;
(xv) one pharmacologist to be nominated by the Central Government;
(xvi) one medical texicologist to be nominated by the Central Government;
(xvii) one person who shall be in charge of the department dealing with public health in a State, to be nominated by the Central Government;
(xviii) two persons who shall be Directors of Agriculture in States, to be nominated by the Central Government;
(xix) four persons, one of whom shall be an expert in industrial health and occupational hazards, to be nominated by the Central Government;
(xx) one person to represent the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research to be nominated by the Central Government;
1[(xxi) one ecologist to be nominated by the Central Government.]
(4) The persons nominated under clauses (xiv) to 2[(xxi)] inclusive, of sub-section (3) shall, unless their seats become vacant earlier by resignation, death or otherwise, hold office for three years from the date of their nomination, but shall be eligible for re-nomination:
Provided that the persons nominated under clauses (xvii) and (xviii) shall hold office only for so long as they hold the appointments by virtue of which their nominations were made.
1. Ins. by Act 24 of 1977, s. 2 (w.e.f. 2-8-1977).
2. Subs. by s. 2, ibid., for "(xx)" (w.e.f. 2-8-1977).
1[(5) No act or proceeding of the Board, the Registration Committee or any Committee appointed under section 6, shall be called in question on the ground merely of the existence of any vacancy in, or any defect in the constitution of, the Board, the Registration Committee or such Committee, as the case may be.]