The Inland Vessels Act, 2021
99. Emergency preparedness.-
(1) Every State Government may, appoint or authorise the advisory committee or officers, by notification, to take adequate measures, as may be prescribed by the State Government, to minimise or counter emergency.
(2) The owner, operator, master, crew or any other person connected with inland vessel plying in inland waters shall upon finding or apprehending a situation of crisis, which could adversely affect or is adversely affecting the safety of navigation, safety of human life or preservation of inland waters, inform or report the advisory committee or such other officers, appointed under sub-section (1) having respective jurisdiction or jurisdictions over such crisis that is found or is anticipated to affect adversely.
(3) The advisory committee or officers, who are appointed or authorised under sub-section (1), on receipt of information under sub-section (2), or as directed by the Central Government or the State Government or on their own initiative, may record the crisis as emergency and, shall adopt such measures as prescribed under sub-section (1), and such other measures which are feasible and in best of the judgment necessary to minimise or counter such emergency.
(4) The advisory committee or officers, appointed or authorised under sub-section (1) may request the navy, coast guard, any other emergency force, or any inland vessel available for such assistance as necessary.
(5) No mechanically propelled inland vessel directed or acting voluntarily in rendering assistance as mentioned in sub-section (4) shall be bound by the provisions of this Act or the rules made thereunder.
(6) Any mechanically propelled inland vessel acting voluntarily, for the purpose of saving life or vessel or providing basic amenities, shall report to the advisory committee or officers appointed or authorised under sub-section (1) regarding the presence and reasons for the acts in writing, at the earliest possible.
(7) The advisory committee or officers appointed or authorised under sub-section (1) shall disburse all basic amenities necessary and essential as it may deem fit, to the persons or vessels affected by such emergency.
(8) The advisory committee or officers appointed or authorised under sub-section (1) shall report to the Central Government or the State Government, the complete description of the events, consequences and such measures adopted under sub-section (3) and the effectiveness of such measures in countering the emergency.