The Inland Vessels Act, 2021
(1) For the purposes of this Chapter, the State Government may appoint and maintain a list of assessors, which may be revised from time to time.
(2) The State Government shall, by rules made in this behalf, specify the qualifications, criteria and consideration, fees or charges for the assessors, who are conversant with the maritime affairs and have experience in the merchant service or in the navigation of the mechanically propelled inland vessels and willing to act as an assessor.
(3) The District Magistrate may, for the purposes of assisting in the inquiry under this Chapter, appoint any number of assessors, from the list of assessors provided to him by the State Government.
(4) In every inquiry, other than the one specified in sub-section (3), the District Magistrate may, if he thinks fit, appoint an assessor, for the purposes of such inquiry, any person.
(5) Every person appointed as an assessor under this section shall assist the District Magistrate in the inquiry and deliver his opinion as may be sought for, which shall be recorded in the proceedings.