The Inland Vessels Act, 2021
51. Life saving, fire safety and communication appliances.-
(1) The Central Government shall, by rules made in this behalf, specify the class or category of mechanically propelled inland vessels to be equipped with navigation aids, life saving appliances, fire detection and extinguishing appliances and communication appliances.
(2) The owner, operator or master of all mechanically propelled inland vessels shall comply with the requirements of navigation aids, life saving appliances, fire detection and extinguishing appliances and communication appliances as specified in sub-section (1).
(3) The State Government may appoint or authorise such officers as surveyors to inspect and ensure that the mechanically propelled inland vessels comply with the applicable requirements specified in sub-section (1).
(4) If the surveyor, on inspection, finds that the mechanically propelled inland vessel is not so provided with life saving and fire appliances in conformity with the provisions of this Act and the rules made thereunder, he shall issue a notice to the master or owner or operator in writing pointing out the deficiency, and unless the master or owner or operator complies with the said notice and report such compliance to the surveyor, the said vessel shall not proceed to conduct any voyage.